mercredi 3 février 2016

Newbie with lots of Q's :~)

Hi,
I found this amazing looking site when I was trying to find out if fleece is safe for Chinchillas.
I live in the UK and have researched as much as I can about Chins, one problem is the conflicting advice :banghead:
My plan is to have 2 Chinchilla as I know they live in large groups. I tried for rescue but none available :cry3:
I've bought this cage and wheel for them AVENTURA Tall ALL METAL CHEWPROOF Rat Ferret Chinchilla Degu Large Cage 1152http://r.ebay.com/ERbCSA
NEW All Metal Large 28cm Degu, Rat, Chinchilla Wheel FREE PP http://ift.tt/1TFmcfc
Would really appreciate feedback on both, though fingers crossed you don't tell me to ditch the cage :hair:
I'm about to set it up but would appreciate some advice on whether I'm on the right track with my ideas.
I plan to cover the ladders in tight fitting fleece covers to protect toes and legs when racing up and down.
I have organic Hyacinth and Sisal mat and a Seagrass mat for the shelves.
Substrate for other floors I'm thinking of this 10kg Single Bale Fitch Paper Bedding For Smaller Critters
I do pottery at Adult Ed and plan to make them a "mountain range" to go on the base of the cage.
It would look like half coconut shells (though bigger, to accommodate an adult Chinchilla or 2.) most turned so that opening is on base.
There would be entrance (sometimes exit as well) and ventilation holes right across the top.
Some shells would be placed so that they are like bowls.
Shells joined together, including piled on top of each other but leaving nooks and crannies.
All glazed in Human safe glaze that can go in microwave/dishwasher.
I'd hide some of their food in different nooks and crannies, maybe even have special slits in roof of caves to put some food and hay tufts.
I want to enrich their play environment as though they were in the wild as far as possible.
I've some beautifully shaped large stones that my late SO and I collected in England and Scotland and I wondered about using these too or instead off?
I am planning on making their houses in pottery class too, I thought 1 each plus one big enough to share. Again ventilation holes all around. These would be secured in several places to the cage bars to prevent being hurled to the floor.
I have a variety of safe balls, small shapes that can be safely thrown around. Safe wood disks, logs and sticks of varying thickness in a variety of woods.
Fish bowl for dust bath which would be in playpen area to encourage return to cage.
Wooden parrot toys of safe wood with bells (checked regularly for safety). No ladders or swings don't want to risk toes or falls.
Thick knotted cotton rope dog chew toys as bridges with fleece hammocks below in case of falls.
Playpen area I've proofed my living room and have folded up metal dog crate covered with very thick cardboard to limit some areas.
10 mins before end of time would put fish bowls in a children's inflatable paddling pool (fleece on base). This would contain sand and start limiting their area of freedom ready for transition to cage and supper.
Food wise I'm thinking pre mixed Chinchilla pellets and mixture of hay until 1 year old and then over 3 months introduce:~
Rolled barley with dried raspberry 1/4 tsp 1x1 a week (this cleans rodents blood, prevents kidney problems and strengthens/stimulates digestive tract & boosts immune system)
Lucerne linseed pellets 1x2 a week (good for fur and high fibre.)
Beetroot pellets 1x1 a week (improves colon activity).
Herbal nuggets Alfalfa with linseed binding, wheat, mint, rosemary and oregano. As a treat if other food eaten
Degu Dazzle beetroot chips, carrot flake, tomato flake and seeds, leek flake, milk thistle seeds, buckwheat, astragalus root, flat peas, millet heads,
organic toasted flakes, norfolk oats and barley. 1/4 teaspoon every other day.
Carousel Mix butternut bark, liquorice root, lemongrass, yellow peppers, uva ursi leaves,
meadowsweet, luci chop, nettle root, nettle leaves, fennel seeds, hemp seeds, organic jumbo oats 1x a week.
Dried Hibiscus flower good for blood pressure and calms the nerves. This is part of my medicine cabinet if there has been stress.(works for people too)
Purple Marshmallow flowers, loved by small furries and great for tummy problems (works for people too)
Whoops, sorry it's such a long post, I just really want to be sure everything is as perfect as possible before the kits are even booked.
I believe doing it this way I can hopefully iron out issues before they are a problem. Many thanks for reading this.
Not relevant to their welfare but little ones will have names from Native language spoken in Peru, as near as possible to time of the Inca.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire