samedi 13 février 2016

Fighting Chinchillas/bitten ear

Hi, I've had my two chinchillas for over a year now and they are brothers and have been together since they were born although recently they have been fighting a lot.
They first started fighting about 2 months ago and showing aggressive behaviours towards each other such as 'dominant mounting' (i don't know what it's called) and barking at each other a little. I supidly dismissed it as I thought since they were brothers etc they should be fine. A couple of weeks later, one of them started biting the fur out of the other's back and then after this I separated them for a couple of days and then when re-introduced they were fine. Although after a week of re-introducing they started fighting again and the cycle repeated again and again.
Although, I woke up this morning to find that the aggressive chinchilla (as its only one who starts the fights) has bitten part of the other chinchilla's ear and that a lot of fur is off his back. I only re-introduced them after another fight a week or so ago and this has happened.
The ear has 2-3 marks on it and has dried blood surrounding it and my chinchilla has been shaking a lot after last night. I've seperated them and I'm giving the injured chinchilla a long playtime/treats and dust baths to help calm him down but he's hiding in the corner of the room and won't run about as usual.
I'm really worried and I don't know what to do. Can anyone give me advice on how I should go about healing his ear, how to calm him down and what I should do about the conflict between the two chinchillas?? Thank you
>> I just want to put out there that my chinchillas are living in a 6+ feet tall cage with plenty of chew toys, a 16 inch wheel, high quality food and are given play times. And I'm almost certain these behaviours are not coming from stressful/poor conditions. Thank you xx


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire