samedi 20 février 2016

Chinchillas AND hedgehog...? Help! 9 Questions!

Hi, I just registered to this website and have no idea if this is how you post a question but, here goes! (sorry it's a bit long...)

ALL QUESTIONS ARE BOLDED (9 QUESTIONS)

I have 4 male Chinchillas (as pets) and they all live together VERY WELL in harmony, but as my hamster recently passed away (from old age), I would like to get a hedgehog, but what I'm scared of is that since chinchillas and hedgehogs are very different from each other, can I keep them in the same house? I know not to house them in the same cage, but I would like to keep the hedgies cage in the room next to where the chinchillas are (they are in my room).

I also know that hedgies go into hibernation if it gets too cold, which is deadly, so I'm sure 70 is too cold for hedgies, but chinchillas shouldn't go near 80, so (my house is usually 70) can I keep the hedgie in the room next to mine warmer using a heater? (obviously not CLOSE to the cage)

As I noted above that I have 4 males, and I know to never get a female chinchilla because all the males (no matter how bonded they are) will fight (possibly to the death) over the female chinchilla in heat. Would the males still fight over a hedgie in heat even if they are different animals in different rooms?

I always take my chinchillas out to play every single day in my room so, when they are in the cage, if I'm holding her and I have to get something, and pass by them I do not plan to introduce them to each other, but I might have to take my hedgie through my room to get something, is that dangerous?

Can I take my hedgie out in the room next to mine to play every day?

There is nothing in the other room that a hedgie could climb on and fall off of, or get stuck under, plus s/he will be supervised cautiously! (I will triple check before I adpot)

I sew fleece for all my chins and I would like to do the same for my hedgie's bedding (but dont they need to burrow?)

Any recommended cages? Any cages that should NOT be used? I can't really have a C&C cage because I also have cats, and either way it is not a cage that I personally like anyway.. The door to my room is always shut to keep cats out and away from the chins, and I can do the same for a hedgie.

Also, I only plan to have 1 single hedgie (hopefully female, if having her in the same house as 4 male chins is okay) is that stressful for her to be alone?

I only want the best for all my pets that I ever own. Which brings me to my last question.. What more do I need for a hedgie?

I already have:

-Place to put a cage
-Sleep sack/hide away (I can afford/make multiple if needed)
-Water bottle
-Food dish
-I have a wheel but it may be too small (I'm planning to upgrade)
-I can easily find crickets/mealworms/etc in my pet stores
-I have aspen bedding/shredded paper (if I can't use fleece)
-I can order food online (its not a nuisance)
-I have a hedgie already in mind to adopt (if this thread says positive things)
-I have nail trimmers and I can purchase baby safe shampoo
-A heater (if needed to keep in the hedgies room for more warmth)

I know its a LOT of questions, but please help!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire