dimanche 31 août 2014

Need Help With Medication Dosage

Jameson was in the emergency vet tonight. I just removed his second massive fur ring of the week (he's been getting them a lot lately) and he was displaying symptoms of another urethral stone (squatting/straining, pressing his lower abdomen to the floor). Xrays revealed no stones, thank God. This vet doesn't usually work with chins, but she suspects he may have a UTI or other bacterial infection due to the fur rings and urination issues they cause. She sent me home with Metacam (susp per ml/.6ml) .2cc every 24hrs and SMZ TMP (susp per ml/10mls) 1.2cc 2x per day. It's been awhile since I've had to give either of these medications, and the dosages seem high from what I remember. Is there any way I can double check the correct dosage? This vet admitted that Jameson was the first chinchilla she'd ever examined and the tech was having trouble converting his weight.



I'd also like some ideas on how I can do a better job keeping his genital area clean? Ever since Jameson had his stone removed he's been peeing on himself (he was marsupialized during his surgery). Initially he developed a case of urine scald, but every night since I discovered it I clean his genital area and inner thighs with a baby wipe, then I apply neosporin. He has some fur loss in those areas, but it's no longer red or inflamed. Is there a better way to keep this area clean? Also, he's been developing gigantic fur rings every few weeks (2 in the last 4 days). Besides removing the fur ring with KY gel is there a way for me to clean his penis so bacteria doesn't develop in his sheath (I'm not sure if that's the correct term for the anatomy, but that's what we called it on horses when I used to ride).



Planning to consult with an exotic vet this week, but I'd like to make him more comfortable until I can get him in. We just moved so I've been hunting for a new vet. :-(




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire