mardi 26 janvier 2016

Strange Behavior During Playtime

Good Morning!

Recently I bought a large mesh tent for my chinchilla to run around in. Usually he runs around in my bathroom, but it's too small of an area for him to run around in/he now gets bored because he's explored every part of the bathroom and always tries to burrow underneath the door space as soon as we try to play with him in the bathroom (even with ample toys and sticks inside with us).

When we first bought the tent, Po (3 years old this February) was very happy, ran around (we put in a cardboard obstacle course we made for him in there) and was chirping and popcorning all over the place. However, the second to last time we let him out, my roommate didn't contain her dog as properly as she should have and the dog kept following him/us around the tent trying to sniff Po. I told my roommate to put her dog up, but she didn't for another 5 minutes (in the middle of an online test or something). Po got really scared and making frantic noises and so I scooped him up and we both left the tent to go to my room so I could put him back in his cage, where he feels safer.

I waited a couple days before I decided to take him out in the tent again, and I made sure Autumn (the dog) was placed in her kennel in my roommate's room with the door closed before I did so. Po was really happy at first, acting very much like he usually does in the tent (popcorning off me, chirping, being very curious/playing in the obstacle course), but about 20/30 minutes into it Po started freaking out again. He started acting very agitated and his happy chirping noises turned frantic. He went to the corner of the tent and sat there for a good 5 minutes and when he finally came back over to me, he started making frantic noises again and rubbing his face nervously. I scooped him up and gave him some chin scratches to calm him down, which seemed to work for a little bit, but then he started being scared again and so I put him back in his cage.

Does anyone know why he would be so happy and then not in such a short span amount of time? Do you think it's because Po could smell the dog's fur on the carpet? Why would he not immediately worry if this were the case?

Do you think he's depressed? I've been working a lot of overtime lately, but usually my boyfriend (whom he's been around since I got him) is around to talk to him/play with him.

Another thing I think worth to mention - the other day he wanted me to just hold him. Po kept climbing out of his cage when I opened it into my hands and sitting there. He gave me some kisses and when I went to put him back into his cage, he tried crawling back into my hands. This is rather unusual for him. though he likes the occasional back scratch/head pet, he only likes to be carried on occasion, and never for more than a minute or two.

I've owned him since he was first separated from his mother and he's never really acted like this.

Any ideas?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire