mardi 26 janvier 2016

Procaine benzylpenicillin

My chinchilla had dental surgery 2 weeks ago (Jan 14) but it was performed by a different vet because Dr. Mans (who usually sees him) was not on clinic that week. I was instructed to give him subQ injections of procaine benzylpenicillin once every 5 days which caught me off guard because he has always been prescribed oral baytril after surgery in the past.

He has been experiencing the usual post surgery loss of appetite, but it isn't improving and got worse after his injection last Sunday night. I brought him to the clinic this morning; Dr. Mans examined him and recommended that he stay overnight. He said that Arthur has had single penicillin injections after a couple of his surgeries, so he doesn't think this is the problem. I'm not sure I agree. After going through Arthur's med records, I found notes that he was given penicillin injections, but the type of penicillin wasn't specified.

Specifically, what is the concern with procaine penicillin? After searching the vetmed literature, all I could find was that some species are "sensitive" to it.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire