samedi 16 janvier 2016

Bumblefoot Housing Help

I just got back from the vet, and Chip, a 10 year old male, has bumblefoot. It's particularly bad in his right foot, which the vet had to bandage, and which I'll be changing at a weekly vet appointment for the foreseeable future. Now I have to figure out how to make his cage as safe and comfortable as possible.

He has a Chin Condo (Quality Cage) I believe, which has a metal bottom and wood shelving, and I use Carefresh bedding (he doesn't eat it, and it's usually dryer than aspen I've noticed).

After talking to the vet, my plan is to (1) remove his wheel, (2) use even more carefresh than normal and change it every other day and/or as needed in certain spots, (3) thoroughly clean the ledge and line them with fleece, (4) replace his wooden house with a fleece bed to encourage him to stay on that, since it's soft..

Is this a good plan? One thing I'm curious about in particular is whether I should use a fleece bottom instead of or in addition to the carefresh, or whether I should be switching to aspen or any other kind of bedding.

Any advice/comments greatly appreciated.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire