mardi 30 septembre 2014

Adopted a chin! First time mom

Hello everybody :) I have been lurking for the past few weeks and thought it was about time to introduce myself and my new friend, Roo! I love animals and have grown up caring for many different animals, but this is my first chinchilla. I never knew how adorably funny and smart they are until recently!



A few weeks ago I adopted Roo. Roo is a one year old standard gray male Chinchilla. I adopted him from a friend that is renting a room in my boyfriends house. He wanted me to have him because he wasn't able to give him the attention and care he needed (My friend actually took him in from someone else who traveled too much to care for him anymore).



It was pretty sad. I didn't even notice shabby little the cage in the dark corner of our basement until 3 days after he moved in. Somehow no one told me there was a chinchilla in the house. My boyfriend even forgot his friend had one!



Immediately, I gushed over the cuteness! Then I hit up google for information on Chinchillas which is how I found this site (and a TON of helpful information, thank you all!). I spent the next few days by his cage getting to know him and very soon after that I bought the materials needed to make a cardboard playpen to block off part of the room so he could run around safely. I use velcro strips to attach it to the wall and it folds up when not in use. I think we were both overfilled with joy when I let him out to play! This was my first experience witnessing a super happy chinchilla bouncing everywhere.



Biggest problem still was his cage. It was not the best for him - rusted in the pee spots, and it was nearly impossible to clean the bottom. I didn't know how to tell my friend that he needed to buy a new cage for his chinchilla, so I asked politely if he was wiling to give him up for adoption. My friend was actually happy that he found a better owner for Roo since he didn't have much time for him either- and even considered giving him up before moving.



I am in love! This little guy has stolen my heart and... my wallet, haha. He is a super sweet little guy and quite social too. After 3 weeks we have already bonded :)



Right now I am a little sad though because I am visiting my parents that live 6 hours away and he is back home. I feel like a worried new mother! I know those boys back home aren't going to be as diligent with cleaning.



Below are some pictures of him, his old cage, and his new cage. So far he is not chewing the plastic critter nation pans, but I have ordered the stainless steel Bass pans anyway! For bedding I use kiln dried Aspen and he does a good job of not kicking it around everywhere. The basement floor is cream and has brown flecks in it that camouflage any poopoos >.< which can be a pain getting them all after playtime and in pictures it looks like poo everywhere lol.



If you got this far, thanks for reading! I look forward to meeting more of you and reading about your chinchillas as well as learning more about mine! <3




Attached Images





















File Type: jpg Roo3.jpg (65.1 KB)
File Type: jpg Roo4.jpg (65.0 KB)
File Type: jpg Roo5.jpg (69.3 KB)
File Type: jpg Roocage1.jpg (85.9 KB)
File Type: jpg RooOldCage.jpg (157 Bytes)






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire