lundi 23 mars 2015

Not eating - help

After a cage cleaning the other day, I have noticed that there are hardly any poops accumulating and she is not chewing on her lava bites or wood chews anymore. She also did not want to come out of her cage while it was being cleaned either. She dosen't look sick but her behavior tells a different story. Plus she did this once before. I left her in someone else's care for 3 months and when I came back she also wasn't eating or running in her wheel. I took her to an emergency vet, was charged $300 and the vet said "I don't know anything about chinchillas". They did give her stuff via an IV since she wasn't eating or drinking. Took her to another vet and was charged $500 and also told that they were not familiar with chinchillas. I was told to force feed her that oxbow stuff which she hated and after about a month of fighting with her to eat it, she finally started eating on her own.



Fast forward 3 years and she seems to be in the same position she was in then and I was never given a diagnosis. Could her teeth be too long or growing oddly? She has tons of ledges to chew - both pumic material and wood.



The other thing is - she will NOT eat food that has the pellets in it. She never did. She will throw the pellets out of the cage and eat anything else in the food that is not pellets. Even if I don't refill her food dish, she still won't eat the pellets. The only stuff she will eat are the "shapes" in the carefresh chinchila food or the non-pellet foods in Charlie chinchilla food. Yes, I know that food is horrible but she won't eat anything else.



We are going to the vet tomorrow and this one is supposed to specialize in small animals but they informed me that chinchillas are "exotic" pets and therefore not their speciality :banghead:



Suggestions?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire