samedi 24 janvier 2015

Teeth Issues

Hi, it's been a long time since I've posted, but recently one of my chins was diagnosed with teeth 'spikes' and I want to make sure we're on the right path.



Floyd is a 9 year old pet store chin that has been part of our family since he was three months old. Recently he lost a lot of weight and began to lose hair, which is when I noticed there was a problem.



I took him to the vet 2 weeks ago and he had lost over 100g since his last vet visit a couple of years ago. The vet looked in his mouth with a probe connected to an iPad and we saw some spikes and red spots on his gum line.



He was given Meloxicam .05cc every 24 hours and TMS suspension .4cc twice a day for 10 days along with an anti fungal cream and critical care 10-15cc 2-3 times a day mixed with pedialyte.



A week later I brought him in for male issues and it turned out it was just a hair ring (he's never had an issue before). The vet didn't like that he was only eating a few pellets and no hay, so pellets were removed.



Two days later we were back for our scheduled follow up. He is now on Meloxicam .05-.1 cc every 24 hours and finished the TMS (antibiotic) .4cc twice a day. Pellets were added back, but he is not eating them. Floyd is currently eating 20-25 cc of Critical care 3 times a day and I leave extra on a plate for him to eat while I'm at work and overnight; he eats some of it. A probiotic was also recommended, but i was wondering if anyone has a recommendation.



Today, I plan to separate my chins so that I can monitor his input and output better (I've been putting this off as I hate to separate him and his cage mate of 8+ years.)



The plan is to follow up with the vet once Floyd has gained enough weight back and is 'healthy' enough for surgery. It would be wonderful if he could wear down his teeth enough to not need surgery/filing, but I'm not too hopeful at this point.



Is there any suggestions to encourage him to eat pellets and hay again? I've tried dipping his pellets and hay in critical care since he has decided to eat it willingly and becomes unhappy when I don't make enough for him. I've also purchased 'flavored' hay and alfalfa, which use to be his favorite. He has also stopped eating some of his treats that he use to love.



This morning he was up to 551g.



Thanks for reading all of this.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire