jeudi 15 janvier 2015

Chinny not eating on Metronidazole

Hi all,



About a week and a half ago, I noticed my chinchilla, Charmin, wasn't eating much of his pellets and had smaller, softer, and sour smelling poops. His 11th birthday was at the same time ( he did not get his new toy or treats for it :( )



I took him to our local exotic vet. I was worried he had giarrdia and the doc agreed something was "out of balance" in his gut and gave me a prescription for a water diluted metronidazole without a stool test. The first batch separated when shaken, and I returned to the vet and had it replaced with a syrup based formula; the dose went from 0.03cc to 0.28cc.



Charmin has been on the syrup meds since last Friday, the 9th.



On Sunday, I completely tore down his cage and scrubbed it with a 1:32 bleach solution. I wiped the actual bars and his flying saucer with it. All his shelves got a thorough rinsing in the shower, but I forgot to rinse his wheel.



Monday and Tuesday, Charmin wasn't eating at all, and wouldn't take treats from me. His tummy felt bloated, but he wasn't going to let me massage it. When he takes the meds (and they get in his mouth), he sounds like he is taking down a lot of air. He was also probably pretty stressed by the cage cleaning (6 hours out)



Wednesday, I skipped both doses and gave him quite a few dried green beans and peas (the only treats other than raisins he showed interest in) throughout the day. He also nibbled on a hay cube.



Its time for his first dose of today, and I've noticed he has finally eaten maybe a third of Monday's pellets overnight.



Should I continue the metronidazole? He had it for a 5 day run, which sounds too short.



We never confirmed a parasite, could I have been paranoid and made his tummy worse with unneeded antibiotics?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire