dimanche 20 avril 2014

Should I get another chin?

Hi everyone, this is my first posting on this site so here it goes.



Yesterday I came back from a business trip that was only a week long. I went into the room where we keep our animals (two rabbits housed together and two chins also housed together). I greeted my white chin, but after I picked her up she seemed very nervous and tried to jump out of my arms. I put her away and went to greet my ebony chin as she usually sleeps on top of their igloo at the bottom of their cage during the day. I bent down to see her and saw only her back legs sticking out behind the igloo and began bawling as I saw her lifeless body. I was completely heartbroken as my husband (who took care of them while I was away) said she seemed fine that morning when he fed them and on top of that, I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to them before I left as I was rushing to try to get to the airport.....



We had moved her body to the freezer so we can try and get her cremated later this week and cleaned the cage, cage accessories, water bottle and food bowl, as well as got rid of the opened bag of food as we're have no idea what happened. We are also going to get our white chin into the vet this week to see if there is anything wrong with her.



Anyways, to the main point of this, I'm not sure if I should get another chin or not so my white chin can have a cage mate again. See, before I got my white chin, I had a gray chin that was my black chin's cage mate who died of complications from getting a malocclusion treated. I read that you should put a stuffy in with the grieving chin to keep it company, which I did, and she almost instantly cuddled up to it. Two or three weeks later I got my white chin, whom she also cuddled up to almost instantly. Now i am at a complete loss at what to do. My white chin definitely saw her cage mate's body (I heard this helps with grieving), but after we put her back in the cage after disinfecting it, she ran and jumped around it for about 15min, something she never does,we're guessing she was looking for her friend. :( We tried the same thing as I did when the black chin's cage mate died and put a stuffy in there, but she hasn't wanted anything to do with it. The only thing that worries about getting her a new friend me is that her and the black chin we inseparable, they did everything together, but my black chin has been her only cage mate since I brought her home. I'm just worried because she has always been the less sociable chin, so I'm nervous that she will not get along with another chin (she's about 4 years old by the way). Also, I'm scared to get another chin as my gray chin was only 5 years old when she died, and the last was was a little over 4 years old. I just feel so bad seeing her sit there sad at the front of the cage (again something she never does) seemingly waiting for her friend to come back...



I apologize for the long post and appreciate any input on this.




Attached Images





File Type: jpg 051.jpg (94.0 KB)






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire