mercredi 23 avril 2014

desperatley need help getting my chin back into his cage every night

I desperately need help trying to get my chin back into his cage every night. First off, I'm not sure what kind of structure his life has had. We got him from a friend about 3 months ago. Our friend had gotten him from a breeder for her kids. Her kid didn't clean the chin's cage like they promised, so after a month she asked us if we wanted him. I'm sure he didn't have much of a structured life when he lived with them, I'm sure he wasn't in any kind of routine. I'm not sure what his life was like when he was with the breeders, but supposedly a couple other chins picked on him and that's why the breeder sold him.



Like I've said, we have had him 3 months now and have tried to stick with a routine for him. I let him out for about an hour every night into a chin-proof room. While he is out I leave his cage open so he has the option to go back in at any time. At first it wasn't hard to get him back into the cage. I could lure him in with a treat, lure him into his portable cage and transfer him that way, or sometimes he even went in on his own and let me close the door. He bonded with us fairly quickly, after a few days he let us pet him while he was in his cage and would jump on us if we layed on the floor while he had his play time. He even would sit on the top of my head.



The last month as been very, very difficult to get him back in his cage. He's caught on to the different techniques I used to use to get him back in the cage. At first I could lure him in the cage with a cheerio, he would follow it all the way into the cage. Then he started following it but would stop when he got near the cage. Now he won't follow it at all. I can't lure him into his portable cage cause he knows if he goes in there he will go back into the cage. (I usually keep the portable cage open so he can go in and out so that everytime he goes in he doesn't get moved to his normal cage, but he has stopped going in there all together).



The only way now that I can get him back into his cage is to use the dust bath, then once he goes in I plug the hole and transport him that way. I know it's not good for their skin to have a dust bath every day, and I fear that if I rely on this too much eventually he will stop taking dust baths too.



Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get him back into his cage? He's a very stubborn and smart chin. We have a pvc pipe out for him but he never goes in it, so I can't use that to transport him. He doesn't care if I put anything in his cage (like a cheerio or willow stick) while he is outside of it. He doesn't come investigate his cage if I clean it or put a new toy in it.



I've read that you can the word treat and train them that when you say treat they will go back into the cage as long as you give them the treat. Is this true and what's the best way to train him to do this?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire