dimanche 27 avril 2014

Getting back into chins! Currently, I have one spoiled rotten non-existent chin!

Hello all!

I thought I would introduce myself and such and these seemed like the place to do it? (If not, sorry!)



Anyway, I have officially decided to get back into chinchillas. I have had various animals over my life from dogs, cats, chinchillas, sugar gliders, guinea pig, frog, freshwater and saltwater fish, snakes, horse, etc.



The last time I have had chinchillas was about 10 year ago when I was 11 or 12ish, long story short, I got really sick and my mom had told me my standard male chin needed to be put down. Anyway I got another after i recovered. She was beautiful, still unsure what color she was but she was white with a touch of silver tips on her fur. So maybe a mosaic that didnt really have any pattern? Then the doctor said I was so sick because apparently I am allergic to all animals, my passion. So my doctor insisted I get rid of all my pets.



Since then I have had all the allergy shots and have been fine ever since. I remember liking the chinchilla's the most out of all the animals i have had, (except for dogs!) but I would really like to get one or two now.



I am excited to say that I will be joining the "ferret nation club" on or before this Wednesday!!!

I already have a ton of supplies:

Ferret Nation Double Unit Cage- ordered and on it's way!!!

-2 Stainless Steel bass pans (one with cut out and one without)

-ChinSpin

-2 16oz. glass water bottles and cleaning brush

-Oxbow Blue Cloud Dust

-4 10X6 tubes

-Lots of ledges (2 12X12 loft ledges, 1 L shaped ledge, 1 16" ledge with drop in metal bowl, 1 12" ledge, 2 8" ledges, 2 6" ledges), wood hay holder,1 wooden bridge with no gaps for toes to get hurt, I also have a small branch to leap on and a colored pumice perch.

-2 different arched hide outs (looks like upside down bridge?)

-still waiting to pick up a chin house, I have one picked out with a hole on the side and the top and a toy attached to another side

-Lots of chin safe hanging toys and a few to go on the ground.



Today, I actually went to Joann's (60% off sale!) and picked up a bunch (probably way too much?) anti-pill and blizzard fleece. I have ordered enough fleece for (4) 3 layer liners and a bunch of hammocks, double hammocks, tube covers, cylinder or cube hanging houses, etc. I figured having extras was okay and means I can switch them out whenever I feel like it!

-For the fleece liners I bought a pattern side and a solid color for the middle and underside.

-I picked 2 patterns and got 60"X58"

-For the 2 solid colors I got 120"X58"

-I have 3 other patterns and 3 solid colors to go with each, each of them I got 1 yardX58".

So I think I am good on fleece! I may make more fleece liners in the future since I do not have a laundry facility in my apartment so it is not super convenient to do laundry.



Ok, so I plan on getting a black velvet male chinchilla (because even though my female never sprayed me and I did not have her too long, the thought of inviting family over to see my new cool member of the family only to be sprayed with urine doesnt sound like it will go over that well...).

I also really like the mosaic's without patterns, just white with silver on the tips of their hair, because I absolutely loved the coloration of my last chinchilla).

I believe these two colors would go really well together.



Now to my questions! (Sorry for such a long post!!!)

1. Are two males together less likely to work than two females? (worst case scenerio I would have to divide the cage into 2).



2. If you have two chinchillas together does that mean they are not going to like me as much? I have only had two chinchillas- at separate times and both were very friendly with me and would go adventure when I let them out and then come cuddle with me shortly after.



3. I remember having a "leash" for my first chinchilla and remember it being convenient when I didn't have a chin safe room for them so I used it as more of a way to keep the chinchilla to where I thought it was safe to go in the room (obviously not yanking or anything like that)... are any of these "leashes" safe?



4. What is the best food? (I plan on getting timothy hay, but am unsure of what pellet to use).



5. What about bedding? Aspen? Pine? what is the best and can I choose any brand that says "aspen" or do the brands matter as well?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire