lundi 2 février 2015

Sudden onset of excessive grooming/fur pulling a cage mate

I've had my two female chinchillas, Effie and Elenie for over two years, and had no issues out of the ordinary.



Yesterday I heard one of them grumbling a little more than normal, and making a 'grunt squeak' noise a few times. I went to investigate, only to find Elenie grooming Effie. I'm used to them doing this and often they get a little carried away and occasionally keck at one another, but this time I noticed a little tumbleweed-like fur clump in the cage.



They seemed to leave each other alone after that, so I assumed it was a one off, but Elenie has been at it all day.

The confusing element is that aside from the occasional grunt, Effie doesn't seem bothered at all, she isn't fleeing, screaming, barking or trembling.



There isn't an alarming amount of fur that I've removed from the cage, but three loose balls of fur that have clearly been removed from the roots as opposed to being chewed off.

A few times I saw Elenie in a 'mount' position, with her paws on Effie, but most of the time they're sitting side by side snoozing together, and Elenie will start enthusiastically grooming behind Effie's ear, her side or her back.



They're both out with me now, exploring, gnawing, eating normally, drinking normally, so I assumed it was perhaps boredom. Except I just saw Elenie doing it again whilst they were both napping.

Has Elenie developed some form of neurotic bad habit, like a relaxation/self-soothing behavior that's become a little obsessive?

Her whole manner isn't that of frenzied aggression, more focused enthusiasm.



Also I noticed Effie reciprocating a few times, and grooming Elenie back, which suggests that Effie clearly doesn't feel threatened or under attack, I just wonder why Elenie feels the need to get so over zealous with it all of a sudden.



Of course now my mind is racing with horror stories, and images of waking up to find an injured chinchilla or fighting or other such nightmares. Sincerely hope this isn't serious.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire