mardi 17 février 2015

The Pickiest Eater to Rule Them All?

I've got a 2 year old chinchilla that I've had since he was a few months old who... is behaving normally in every way except when it comes to eating hay.



He eats his pellets no problem. He chews his wood no problem. He runs on his wheel. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. The only thing I've been concerned about lately is that he only interacts with me most of the time these days and can be feisty around other people, but he's still happy to sit on my shoulder, groom me, etc. He doesn't like picked up or inspected, though, so I tend to avoid that whenever possible, although he's perfectly fine with me rubbing and petting him in most areas.



But for the last few months, he's not eating much hay. I've been monitoring it for awhile. I tried new hay, and it's the same behavior.



I've watched him and he just... picks through it. He'll pick a piece up, bite it, throw it down, etc. I end up with this huge strewn pile of hay all over the floor of his cage and only some of the hay eaten. I've been trying to make up for this by changing his hay frequently, but it's just getting absurd.



The moment I change his hay, he comes over and starts attempting to eat it, but he still goes through this whole sorting process and turns his nose up at most of it. I've even hand-fed him pieces and he'll nibble then throw it back down if he doesn't like it.



Is he just a picky eater? Does anyone have recommendations or other advice?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire