jeudi 17 juillet 2014

I need advice! Bonding the newbies

Hello all! This is my first post on this site...so be patient with me :)



I currently have my 9 month old male (not neutered) chinchilla. This Sunday, I plan on bringing home 2 new additions to add to the chin loving family . One is a 15 month old female, and the other is a 9-12 week old female kit (a curly mosaic...she's to die for). The owner/breeder is reputable and has been VERY helpful with all kinds of advice and information, but I want additional information from you guys, the loving fans / breeders/ pet owners of these little furry people.

I have the boy, Brody, in his own 3 level 4 ft cage. I just bought a brand new double unit Midwest Critter nation cage and 2 baby proof customize Chinchilla cages (1 mansion, 1 skyscraper) The breeder states that the 15 month old and the baby will almost definitely bond since the adults usually accept babies fairly easily. I am keeping the midwest cage (largest) , empty with NO scents or territory claims until they are all bonded. When I bring home the 2 new chinchillas, I plan on putting them in their own cages as well. 3 cages (in case anyone of them despise any of the other 2). 3 chinchillas. 2 females 1 male.

For this herd dynamic...what would you recommend as the best choice for bonding options? cage inside a cage? smooshing? ( i have a "2 story" medium size mouse/gerbil cage that I was planing on using for vet calls and the transport home for one of them that I could use). I planned on putting them all in the sitting room/library with Brody , where he lives now. Not side by side, but across from each other for a few weeks. When it comes to letting the girls out to play....is this room an okay place for exploration if I am prepared for urine spraying?The more dominant chinchilla should be placed in the cage within a cage, correct? My spare bedroom is completely neutral and I wanted to save that for once they move into the critter nation cage, and the all can explore in their and have that be their play room.

Also, I am aware that Brody will probably attempt to mate with the 15 year old. I am comfortable and prepped for this. However, Once the 10 week old kit hits 4 months I will neuter Brody since I don't want her having babies at the youngest possible age, and I would like them to live together peacefully by then .



Sorry for the jumbo intro. I just want all the advice as possible!!!! THANKS EVERYONE!!!




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire