jeudi 24 juillet 2014

Chinchilla acting strange

Hi! I am new to this forum and decided to join when it popped up as a result when I was researching issues with my chinchilla.



I have had my chinchilla for a little over a year and a few (3) days ago, I noticed he was chewing and pulling the fur out of his paws to the point where they were bleeding and he wouldn't put pressure on them. It scared me and it was a Sunday morning so no actual clinics were open so my only option was to take him to the pet emergency clinic. When I got there, the vet admitted to not knowing much about chinchillas and said she wasn't sure what was wrong but could tell that his paws looked infected and gave him antibiotics, pain meds and put a ecollar (cone) (made out of duct tape no less) on him. Well I refused to give him the pain meds because he was so lethargic as it was but I gave him the antibiotics thinking what could it hurt and HATED the ecollar on him but left it since he would chew on his hands as soon as it came off. The next day I called the vet who specialized in exotics and they asked me to bring him in asap and I found out that it was from the metal grate on the bottom of his cage (broke my heart since I researched them extensively-even their vocal sounds) and told me I was smart to not give the pain meds since it could kill them and said to continue the antibiotics and also gave a topical cream and took off the ecollar stating that gives them unneeded stress. It has been 3 days and he is still not acting quite himself even though his paws are better. He tends to hang out in the back of his cage (not sure if he just likes the new bedding and no grate or if its more serious) and he has not been pooping as much- the little he does is hard and looks like the constipated examples from my chinchilla book. He also is not eating nearly as much but will still accept treats (such as hay chunks and raisens). He also has been chewing on his mineral wheel, chewing rock and log bed which he usually does not do and grinding his teeth. He has been off the Antibiotics beginning today but I still put the topical cream on. I just don't know what to do to help him get back to normal and I love him so much I want to do whatever I can to help him. Any ideas whats going on?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire