mercredi 30 juillet 2014

HELP ! Aggressive Chinchilla

Hello folks. I'll try to keep this on point and as specific as possible.



My 7 m.o. male chinchilla is housed alone, and my new 3 m.o. and 10 m.o. females are together. The girls bonded on the ride home and are fine. I have been switching items in their cages for scents. I let the boy run alone in his room first, then let the girls out together in the same room, then i'll switch who goes out first the next day. The male constantly approaches the girls cage. He and the baby lick faces and seem fine, however, the older female showed no interest beyond the first few days, and when the male approaches her in her cage, she clicks/chatters her teeth every now and then, or bites at him through the cages.



Yesterday, my fiancee and I sat in our neutral large walk in closet with no hide outs, just 2 toys, and a time out carrier cage. We let the older girl and the male out, prepped for anything. The male chased the female for a few moments. Attempted to mount her 2 times. She ran. the third attempt she got mad, stood and sprayed at him. He discontinued attempting to mount, but was trying to quietly follow her for a minute. She tried to bite him. I put her in time out.



Last night, the male approached the girls cage, and when i put him away i noticed a fur-less red mark on the left side of his "upper lip". No blood. Just raw and red, the size of half a pencil eraser.



IS that enough injury to never attempt to bond them in the future? Can and should I still attempt to bond the 3 month old through scents and supervised meetings until she is at least 11 months old and can breed healthily? I figure they can be friends with no influence on the older female not tolerating the younger female anymore. Should i keep the 3 month old in the cage with the other girl forever? I dont want to deprive the older female of a bonded cage mate just because she's being a jerk. :pillowfight:



Some of their personality traits if it helps the "combination" . ......



The only male chinchilla in the house, 7 month old Brody, is the most hyper, "people-curious" chinchilla ever. He's good with human hands, comes to me when called, no biting, pees in the corner, etc.



The two new girls, 3 month old Fiona, and 10-15 month old Cake, are now on week 2 of living with moi. Fiona is shy but enjoys approaching me and being held, Cake is timid, easily frightened, seems to like my hand in her cage, not on her body, and seems to slowly be warming up to me.





THANKS TO EVERYONE IN ADVANCE!




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire