vendredi 18 septembre 2015

Picking chin up

My first chinchilla was given to me by my brother as a 'present'. What really happened was he purchased the little guy for his twins... Who were like 5 or 6 at the time. They were WAY too rough with him and would chase him around. Clearly it wasn't going to work out like they wanted, so he tossed him at me as a backup plan... Though he did tell me that he could be returned to Petco if I did not want him. I wasn't returning him somewhere that I knew did not care for him properly, so I kept him. He was about 6 months old then, and I got him back on Thanksgiving of 2013.

While he obviously adores me and loves pets and to snuggle my face when I'm poking in the cage, holding him is still impossible. He begs for my attention and enjoys climbing on me during playtime, but like most chins, he just hates being picked up. Recently, I read something about how someone makes sure that their chins are able to be held. I was wondering if you had any tips? I've had him for nearly two years now and though he will occasionally hop into my arms, all I'm able to do is support him. I can't really move him or he freaks.

If I do try to pick him up(and if I catch him, he's very flighty when you reach for him like that), he shakes uncontrollably like he's terrified. Sometimes he is less loving towards me after I attempt to handle him, as if he's upset with me for picking him up.

I'm content with our relationship right now but if anything happens that I NEED to handle him, I don't want to be in a situation where I can't. My fear is that attempting to do this will make him avoid me all together and make it even harder to do anything with him. My other chin doesn't care what I do to him, he just takes it. Sometimes he might complain but usually he just sits there. I know all chins are different and most hate being picked up, but I was curious if you guys had any opinions?

So since I typed a lot... Here is a quick review. My chin is terrified of being grabbed at. I don't know if this was because of him getting chased by my brothers children or because he wasn't handled. On the rare occasion that he does hop into my arms, I always give him a treat. He will let me carry him around for a little, but I never push it. All he allows is for me to support him, I can't move him while holding him. When I do grab him or even attempt to, he will keck at me and start shaking. He gets upset with me after I try to handle him and he avoids me for a while. How can I overcome this?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire