lundi 7 septembre 2015

Help with chinchilla aggression!

Background: I got my chinchilla at 6-7 weeks old and now my chinchilla is over 3 months now. She warmed up to me very fast, from being scared and skittish to now coming to me when I call her name and say the command come. She was in a small cage for a little while so I was constantly taking her out everyday in the evening for 30-45 mins until I was able to get her a huge cage, but then the bar space was too big and she could squeeze right though it, so she was back in her little cage again until I purchased a brand new huge cage again, which she was super happy and content about.

How the aggression built up: it seems to me that from the very beginning when I first got her, I let her out for freedom a couple of times, and then she was hooked and that's all she wants now. It was like she got a taste of freedom and constantly bites on the cage non stop.
I figured it was because she was in such a small cage that once I got her a big one it would stop, (I am still letting her out daily) it did for a couple of days and then continued again. I figured the next option was maybe she was bored so I have tons and tons of toys and things for her to chew on, shes super spoiled and she jumps around happily when she recieves new things or when she plays in her cage at night.
Unfortunately, when it comes to me though... when I get near the cage or call her over to pet her, she lets me sometimes (if not most of the time) for a few seconds, sometimes even tilts her head and then scratches herself like if I was bothering her LOL or made her itch. But now it just seems like I cannot go near the cage or she'll bite on it to let her out, I cannot hold her or she tries and wiggles her way out to freedom, and now it's to the point where I'm fighting her off to feed her and I'm lightly pushing her away so I can add her food to the cage, but she just uses both her paws to push my hands back away and now sometimes even bites them firmly (never enough to bleed though) and I never yell or jerk my hand away when she bites I just continue to do what I have to do.

What should I do regarding this situation or how can I fix it?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire