mardi 29 décembre 2015

Handling a chinchilla for inspecting

I worded the title a little weirdly I think.
Either way, this is a question about handling a chinchilla, even though I am confident in picking up and handling my two chins. Both of my chins do freak out a little whenever I reach out for them but once handled they calm down quickly, so it is well. They get more used to it the more I do it.
My main concern however - is the way of handling a chinchilla. My chins are at most safe when I support their hind legs and keeping close to my chest, to prevent them from accidentally attempting to jump out of my hands (although if they close to doing so I always release them near the ground so they are safe).

Recently I have needed to check both of my chin's hind feet, because they are dry (but not infected nor cut, just flaky,dry skin. Does not bother or cause pain at all.), but my issue started when having to apply thin layer of lukewarm/warm water on their affected areas. Obviously when supporting them from below you cannot really apply anything on them. I only managed to do it a few times by slanting myself and lightly holding one foot and supporting the other with one hand (I have a family member who helped apply lightly on their feet), but obviously the chins do not like it when they cannot feel support on all their feet :broken:

Holding the chins by the base of their tails would more than likely scare them even more, and I'm unsure of any other ways. Is there perhaps another way of safely reaching their hind legs while handling?

Thanks again :p


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire