mercredi 26 novembre 2014

Concerned about chinchilla

Hi,



I came across this website when I first got my chinchilla which is almost a year and a half ago and really found it helpful in keeping my chinchilla healthy and happy.



I have decided to write my own post as I now have a problem that don't quite fit what others have had so please bear with me while I try to explain.



For about the last week I have noticed that my chinchilla's poo has become soft to the point that if he steps in it it squashes beneath him however it isn't constant it seems to be a few out of many and didn't happen on consecutive days. I know this is really dangerous for chinchilla's so have been monitoring him closely. I have also noticed that he has hair on the outside of it sometimes too and that they can come out attached.



Yesterday I noticed that it was squishy again but this time it was in clusters (only 2 lots) so made an appointment at the vets. His poo has always been a very dark brown colour slightly moist but is formed correctly though can be a little on the squishy side sometimes but not if he steps in it.



I feed him beaphar care plus and timothy hay. I always boil his water before giving him any as I heard this helps kill anything bad which he could catch.



As for treats I limit him to a papaya piece about 4 times a week however I found out someone in the house had been giving him them too.. After I found this out I stopped all of his treats to see if it helps.



Another thing is he doesn't seem to be eating as much hay as he used to but this started a long time before his pooing issues (he still eats hay just not as much) he is still eating his food and is drinking plenty.



One last concern is that he does not seem to be pooing anywhere near as much as he should. He used to go everywhere now I rarely seen any on his shelves in his cage or when he is running around.



I have just bought a new cage for him and he has been in it about 4 days so I don't know if that could have any effect on it?



I had my vet appointment today and they didn't really say anything other than I should limit the amount of food I give him as he might not be getting enough roughage and that if it didn't improve in a few days to take him back and they will xray his teeth to see if there's any problems with that.



Is there anybody that could possibly shed some light on what is going on with him and I would welcome anyone who has had any of the same problems as this to let me know what you came back with.



I am very sorry for the long scrambled post and thank everyone who reads it :).



PS I do not give Widget anything that isn't wooden except for his fleece blanket.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire