dimanche 30 novembre 2014

Chinchilla and Bunny?

My brother bought a rabbit a few months ago and he keeps suggesting that, if introduced carefully, my calm and passive chinchilla Marshmallow could become a companion for his rabbit when they are out for playtime. My two chinchillas do not get along and although one appears perfectly content to live in solitude, Marshmallow often acts lonely and so I think a friendship may be good for her. However, thus far there has been strictly zero contact between the rabbit and chinchilla; I do not allow the rabbit in any areas of the house my chins ever come in contact with. This has mainly been because I am fearful of them contracting Pasteurella, which I know rabbits are prone to carry.



Anyways, my questions are:

1. How contagious is pasteurella, after all? As in, can the rabbit be allowed into the chinchillas' playroom if they are not currently inside of it? If the rabbit did carry pasteurella, how long would the objects it comes in contact with be contaminated?

2. How likely is the rabbit to carry the disease? And if the rabbit did test negative for pasteurella, would it be safe for me to introduce him to my chinchilla? They would only ever be out together during playtime and they would never share food.



Sorry, this is a lot. Thanks in advance for the advice!




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire