vendredi 16 mai 2014

Help with wound care suggestions please

:cry3:As you know I have been recovering from pretty extensive cancer surgery again and my daughter and hubby have been caring for the chins. My daughter is 22yo and has taken care of the boys many times while I have been hospitalized,vacations,etc and she knows their personalities as well as I do. When I got home from surgery(in hospital approx 1+week) she told me that Pooh was a little more stand offish and not taking his once a day treat or eating pellets well.I watched him a bit that day and the next and he appeared to cleaning man bits quite often so I had my daughter catch him(his cage is on bottom level and I couldn't bend that much then) and I took him for a hair ring check in the bright light.Didn't find much except one little piece of crust which washed off and then he retracted easily.All better until Monday when I noticed him grooming way too much again.So I sat/plopped ungracefully in the floor to check him again. Immediately when I caught him I noticed his entire belly and left side matted and smelly.After quite awhile of soaking debridement and cleaning and fur slipping as much fur around the wounds as possible I realized how bad it was. Dose of metacam and e-collar applied.Vet appt for following day. His opinion is to leave the scabs/matted hair in place for the moment as if he gassed him and removed/debrided everything Pooh would have an huge deep gapping wound and at least two other significant ones farther down his side. He wants to do antibiotics/pain meds for a least a week to decrease the infection and allow some healing underneath the scabbing then possibly bring him back in a week or two and gas/debride wounds that would be a little easier to manage/heal by then.He is on chloramphenical antibiotic, novalsan diluted wound wash and the pain meds.Giving him some Critical Care just for good nutrition and fluids esp with the collar on. I have no idea how the severe injuries occurred as he is in a FN141 by himself and I've taken everything in it out without finding any clues. I already have on order Manuka honey and calendula cream. I have no experience with use of the honey so if anyone can give suggestions,please do. I wasn't sure if it could only be used on open wounds,or if it can be used over scabbed wounds,and if/how it needs to be covered?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire