lundi 23 mai 2016

Questions from a paranoid new owner

Hi,

I have two new chinchillas that I bought from a reputable ranch in Ohio and got them transported here to California.

I've had my chins for a month now and my chins are both males, and both born in November of 2015.

Recently I'm been noticing that they're sleeping a lot more and was wondering if that was normal. I feel like a butt, but because they have both their eyes shut I sometimes worry so I go over there sometimes and stick my knuckles near their noses. They respond to me just fine and they also eat and drink just fine. They also perk up to some noises, but goes right back to sleep. They just sleep a whole bunch.

I also notice they eat their poops a lot when they're half asleep, they would have their eyes closed, wait for a poop to come straight out of their anus and eats it and then sleep-chew all while their eyes are closed.

As these are my first chinchillas, I try to research as much as I could and they seem "normal" to me, it might not be the case. So I just wanted some confirmation from long time chinchilla owners to maybe educate me a little.

I also haven't gotten to the point where I can pick them up yet. They both have curious personalities but are still skittish and hate to be petted or touched. So I don't know how I can weigh them but I can see their teeth, see the ears, and touch their noses. Teeth is a good coloring of yellow orange-ish, ears are not red, and noses are not wet. I live in an area where temperatures are at a constant 64-68 degrees Fahrenheit (17.78 - 20 degree Celsius). I have a digital thermometer and humidifier reading that is on all day.

I have them both housed in a midwest critter nation cage with klin-dried pine bedding.

I just realized I typed a whole essay to prove that I'm not incompetent and trying to make these babies as comfortable as they can be, but I'm still new to this and therefore will be incompetent because of the lack of experience.

TL;DR Chinchillas are sleeping a lot should I be worried? What else should I check for and note in behavior to catch illnesses?

Thank you! Any replies will be appreciated!:wacko:


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire