mardi 31 mai 2016

Hive mind feedback: new, young chin drinks very little

I wanted to pose these details to the forum to see if anyone thinks our new young female has any problems.

In short: 5 month old female barely drinks any water, and I don't see any urine in the cage bedding, and only some poop. She is eating hay, and shows an interest in shredded wheat. However, she is not interested in pellets, and tends to bury her food dish in bedding.

More details: I've never had a chin this young before, as I have a tendency to get chinchillas from people who realize they can't take care of them after several years. This little girl came from some college kids who, I think, didn't understand the level of interaction she needed. They got her a couple weeks after she was born, from some pet store.

She smelled like cucumbers when we got her home. I have no idea what else they may have been feeding her.

She is pretty active, and is a bit moody when it comes to being pet or handled. It's clear she's still acclimating to the new cage, and she's testing the strength of the cage bars and chewing on almost everything.

One of my prior chins was barely a water drinker, and she was always extremely healthy. Perhaps this girl is the same? Do young ones drink less than older chins? For example, my older 7-year old female went through an entire water bottle in the time it took the younger one to drink only about a centimeter of water from her bottle.

Note: they are not sharing a cage yet.

What mostly concerns me is that I can see no evidence that she's peeing.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire