mardi 3 mai 2016

Need some clarification on Alfafa hay, normal hay/pellets and oats

Hi, just looking for some advice on chinchilla foods, I'm a new owner and had my two 7 month-old boys for a month.

My two chinchillas have as their diet - Timothy Hay for Chinchillas, Supreme Science pellets - Selective for Chinchillas, and I use organic oats as a treat as well as the occasional tiny bit of raisin.

We picked up the Timothy Alfafa Hay instead of the normal one last week thinking quite naively that mostly all hays would all be similar, as also I had read previously it was good for chinchillas. However when I got home, I had second thoughts and decided I should do more research - I read up more but decided to get the regular Timothy Hay the next day and just mixed a little in (don't worry, they were fed the Alfafa til we got more, and they loved it)

I've read several different views/opinions on Alfafa, so some advice from experienced people would be greatly appreciated. I read things such as; it shouldn't be given after 6 months, it can be given as normal hay but isn't necessary to, can be given as a 'treat' hay almost, or can just be mixed in with normal hay. Obviously there are always many different opinions on these things, so some advice would be helpful.

What made me indecisive is when I read their pellet composition and it's a high quality product, and reading it I found out it actually contains Alfafa, as the Lucerne Meal. It's a 16% Protein/19% Crude Fibre/3% Fats pellet with good vitamin and mineral nutritional values.

My question overall is - since the pellets are high in Alfafa, is it better to just give them the straight normal hay, or continue to mix in the Alfafa too? Or would that be bad/have no benefit/be too much? Or because they are processed pellets, does the Alfafa content not matter? Only want to do the best I can for my boys, they eat and drink well I just want to make sure I'm doing thing properly.

Thanks for any advice.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire