mardi 10 mai 2016

Breeding Must Knows/Tips for Breeding

Hi all!

I'm currently curious about breeding and looking into the possibility of breeding in the future (at the earliest, once I am out of college, which won't be for 2 years yet but I feel that the more time I spend learning about this the better prepared I will be for if/when I decide to breed).

Is there anything imperative one must know before delving into breeding chinchillas?

So far my knowledge is really limited in that I should only breed pedigreed animals that I know the genetic history of, and that age and weight (at least in the case of the female) are important in ensuring their safety when breeding. (Knowing this I have no intentions of breeding my current two chinchillas at any point. They are companion animals only!) I also know when you breed you want to get the highest quality animal possible, which should always be the goal. With chinchillas you're breeding for an ideal coat, but I don't know much more than that. I have experience in judging horses so I understand basic concepts about the importance of judging animals and how certain aspects are vital to their looks/health/productivity/etc. but obviously chinchillas are not horses and thus are being bred for very different qualities.

As I mentioned, I have a lot of time to explore this possibility and learn as much as I can, which I fully intend to do before potentially trying my hand at breeding, but I would love to hear from some experienced breeders to possibly help me expand my currently very limited knowledge base!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire