vendredi 11 mars 2016

The mystery is solved... Giardia

The exotic vet popped in before I left work and she let me know that the fecal came back positive for Giardia.

He hadn't had any diarrhea, so she said there was nothing to really do about it. This, I know is not 100% true, because I know that chins are often prescribed metronidazole when positive for Giardia. He is going back to work with me for a recheck next week on Monday or so, when I will pester her about getting him on different meds. I'm unsure if the treatment for this varies based on symptoms since I have zero experience with Giardia in chins.

He's been on the following:
Buprenorphine- .05ml finished last dose 3/6/16
Sulfa Trimethoprim- .15ml currently taking
Bene Bac- 2grams total, also finished
Simethicone- a dropper given twice daily, sometimes a few drops during other feedings.

The only symptom had been the weight loss and his lack of appetite(which is now picking up because he is showing some interest in food, but he's not really touching his bottle). I believe he ate about 2-3 grams of food, which is definitely an improvement since he wasn't touching it before. He's also regularly eating alfalfa hay, but he won't touch the timothy. Cheerios and other treats are also taken eagerly.
Everything else(urine, blood, xrays) came back fine so I'm hoping that this is the only issue.
Now for my questions...

Where do I even start?
What is the proper method I should use to sanitize the cage(note - no hoses available)?
Can the ledges or hanging toys be spared?
What method should I use for washing the fleece, tile, bowl, etc...?

Any other information would be awesome... I just want my little dude to get better.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire