dimanche 13 mars 2016

Advice please!

Hi there, I from the uk, and my chinchilla Obi seems to be having a few issues lately. Just for a bit of background, he is 6 years old (7 in November), and hasn't had any prior health issues till around 2-3 weeks ago. I noticed that his poops had started to become quite soft and sticky, so thinking nothing of it I stopped giving him treats and that seemed to do the job.

4-5 days later it started happening again (still no treats), so I gave him mostly hay but he hasn't been eating it for a while other than the occasional nibble, so when I saw he wasn't eating it I upped his pellets again. It was still happening so I called the vet and took him in. It was also around this time that he was becoming quite inactive (not lethargic) - he was chattering away to me when in his cage and was always eager and waiting for me to come home from work so he could cuddle, but it got to the point at night during his run that all he wanted to do was cuddle with me or sit in a corner.

The first visit to the vet, he checked him over and weighed him, looked at his teeth (which are fine), checked his stomach for bloating and made sure he was in good general health. He suggested that he possibly might have caught a virus, so prescribed medication.

The medication worked and his poops became harder (but he was still Only cuddling). Once the course of treatment was done, (5 days ago) everything was fine poop wise, till 2 days ago, when I noticed that they were soft and sticky again. I also noticed that he didn't seem to be eating as much anymore.

I took him to the vet again earlier today, and he checked him over once more. His teeth are still fine, and there was some greens in the back of his mouth so there was evidence he had been eating something, but when he weighed him he told me that Obi has lost 10% of his weight since the last trip. So he had given me some liquid fibre supplement that they use to help herbivores gain weight called "Recovery", that I have to give him 4 times a day. We are hoping that it will put some weight back on him and help him improve the state of his poops.
I was just wondering if someone could perhaps shed some light on to what may be wrong with him, as there doesn't seem to be any underlying illness.

A friend of mine seems to think that perhaps it's because it's down to him missing me in the day when I'm at work (i work irregular shifts - mostly in the day time but the occasional nights, which a family member will look after him when I'm on one), but that doesn't really make sense as he's never done this before and I've been away at night before.

I appreciate any advice or help you can give me :)
Thanks guys!

P.s. I do apologise if I don't respond till tomorrow, ive more than likely fallen asleep on my iPad after a long stressful day at work and the vets!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire