lundi 24 mars 2014

Bumblefoot

I posted yesterday in the emergency thread about a potential eye infection in my chinchilla (he is okay, no infection, just irritation, I have eye drops in case it flares up or appears to take a turn in any way, but the vet told me he should be fine).



The vet additionally mentioned to me that my chinchilla's back feet look red and irritated. I checked them and the very balls of the heels on them look red, but they aren't in any way actually bumblefoot. The vet told me to keep an eye on them and do everything I can to make sure they calm back down.



I have a number of ideas that may have caused this (I was gone for a week and I don't think cleaning was done as well as it should have been, but he also got reckless when I was trying to clean yesterday and he attempted several times to walk on the bars of the cage), but I want to run down my cage set up and be certain that I have everything done properly and what else I can do to ensure this doesn't potentially get worse and then *actually become* bumblefoot.



-- I have a two-story ferret nation. I currently wrap fleece around the plastic liners that came with the cage. Should I use something else? Should I get thicker fleece or padding? Or should this be just fine?



-- I change the fleece once a week (for each story) and sweep up wood chips and poop as necessary. Should this be done more regularly?



-- He has wooden pine shelves throughout both stories, all of which he chews on frequently. Should I sand down the edges every now and again? None of them are splintered or anything, but they are rough around the edges where he chews. I don't know if this could be a contributing factor.



-- He has pine wood hidey home and a bendable log bridge. Should either of these be sanded as he chews or treated in any way?



I imagine that all of this is fine, but I really want to be sure. I've been anxious and scared about my little baby since I got home and am just generally concerned and don't want anything to get serious. I've never heard of anyone sanding their stuff, but I hate the idea of his little feet hurting, even if they are only mildly irritated right now. I don't want anything to make the mild problem into a serious one.



Thank you for understanding.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire