jeudi 26 novembre 2015

SILENT running, and low cost wheel DIY

Comprehensive and excellent video on building a proper chin sized wheel without the noise of the lazy susan mechanism. As per my comments on the youtube page section, I used the same 3-4 gallon feed/oil pans instead of the salad bowl in the video, though my first attempt used a stainless steel x-large water bowl that was a bit deeper but only about 14 inches in diameter. It was stronger than the galvanized pan but the angle of the sides was more extreme, and since the feed pan doesn't need as much of an angle to mount it nearly vertical, the bottom doesn't need to be as thick.

I used the old bearings and wheels on my Roller blades that I had swapped out for an upgrade, but they are cheap to buy if you don't have any handy.

This worked so well that I made a couple of them, and put one on a wooden plank that can be a portable playtime one for out of the cage as well. Its freestanding, and the base is only as thick as a wooden ledge, so it can slide under furniture for added stability because they run SO hard on it, sometimes it can start to bounce or rock/chatter with the vibration,but its sturdy. I just put a couple planks together in a capital "L" sort of shape and lay it sideways, mounting the wheel on the short leg.

I am going to make another one too since I still have another pan and more wheel bearings! Then my boys can each have a wheel all of their own, and won't have to push each other off to share it with anyone. (Though it is kind of funny to watch them do that...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmbAApN0o6M


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire