vendredi 13 novembre 2015

Loosing Weight.. HELP!

Hello! So I have a four-year-old chinchilla and she has never had a health problem but recently I have noticed she is loosing weight.

BACKGROUND:
In August I brought her to see a vet in Wyoming who specializes in small pets, specially chinchillas. When I brought her there he did an over all check up, checked for parasite by taking a stool sample (it came back negative), and then he checked inside of her mouth. When he looked inside of her mouth he notice her one molar was slanted in the wrong direction and was slightly cutting her tongue. He said it wasn't a big problem but I wanted to get it fixed since I don’t live in Wyoming, I was only out there for the summer, and I don’t know of any specialized vets in PA. The vet and vet tech told me I was a terrific chinchilla owner and that she is very healthy so I was extremely happy to hear that! (Side note: I took her to a vet a year or two ago in PA but the vet really didn’t do much besides weigh her and look at her teeth).

PRESENT:
Anyways, she has been fine ever since August, chewing on everything and eating/drinking normally. I just noticed today (Nov. 11th 2015) that she has lost 23 grams since October 31, 2015. She use to weigh 731 grams and now she weighs 708 grams. The last time I weighed her before October 31,2015 was on October 18, 2015 and she weighed 725 grams. I know her weight fluctuates every now and then but I am just worried since I noticed what seems to be a large drop in weight for only 14 days. I am not sure if I am overreacting, which I hope is just the case, or if I should try and find a better vet to take her to.

BEHAVIOR: She is still eating/drinking normally and she is very active and playful. The only thing I have done so far was given her some Critical Care (banana and apple flavored) in her Oxbow pellets. Her diet hasn’t changed and she does get treats every now and then and her treats are Cheerios, treats from Vitakraft Chinchilla Cocktail, and an occasional little piece of burnt toast.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do or am I just overreacting? I attached some pictures so you can see what she looks like.

Thanks for your help!


ADDITIONAL INFO: She has a five level cage, she drinks filtered water and she always has hay and pellets at her disposal. She eats Oxbow hay and pellets. I also clean her cage once a week and she gets a dust bath every Sunday. She is kept out of direct sunlight and our house is kept at 71 degrees. Her pee looks normal and she doesn’t have any fluids coming out from her genitals, mouth or eyes. She also has a bed she sleeps in during the day and she has two chinchilla chiller stone plates in her cage to cool her down. She also gets plenty of sticks and other toys to chew on/ play with.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5868.jpg (91.8 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_5867.jpg (91.7 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_5859.jpg (87.0 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_5858.jpg (84.8 KB)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire