jeudi 14 juillet 2016

New to second chinchilla!

I've had Pip for a little over 5 months now and he's such a sweet little guy. I just felt that it was time to get him a friend, so we adopted another little guy yesterday who has been named Kylo. It would appear Kylo is younger than Pip, he's definitely smaller. Now, I've read and researched A LOT about introducing two chinchillas. Yes, they are in two separate cages, and are a good 6 inches apart. Pip seems really interested in Kylo. I got both of them from a shop (I know, should have gone to a really good breeder). When I got Pip, I know that he was housed with two baby chins. They just got adopted before he did, and upon hearing that I couldn't leave him in there any longer, so I decided to adopt him. Well, Kylo, when we got him there was another chin in there with him, same age and size and they seemed to love each other! Cuddled up close with one another. Kylo has been in that pet shop for about 2 months, and the other one was newer.

Anyhow, Pip and Kylo show absolutely NO aggression towards each other. I haven't put them together because it's too soon. But really, they're not barking at each other, they're not biting at the bars on their cages, they both sort of just try and look at each other for a few seconds and then go about their way. Would it be bad to let them in the others cage to sniff around, or would that cause distress? My boyfriend held Pip next to Kylo's cage, which I told him not to do anymore so it doesn't risk either of them biting each other. But they didn't bite at the bars, didn't use their hands for anything, just touched noses from sniffing each other.

Are these two likely to form a great bond if they're already docile about being near each other? I want to wait for at least a week before I try and have them out for play time together. Anything I've read says that chins tend to go crazy about a new chin coming into the home and they do all sorts of things and to not introduce them until they don't seem to care about another chinchilla being near them. I mean, I have separate cages so it's not like I'd have to get rid of one of them if they didn't get along. Like I said though, they haven't spat, tried to urinate, bitten or anything like that at each other.

Thanks for any insight! :)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire