vendredi 3 février 2017

New Chin owner with a few concerns/questions.

I've owned my first Chin for just over a month now, after a long time spent researching, planning and purchasing all the necessary parts, toys and food.

I bought him from a pets at home store, since there were no adoption centres anywhere near me that had any, not any reputable breeders less than an hours drive away (I didn't want to stress him out with a long drive) I didn't ask his age in all the excitement, which I regret now, but he appears fully grown to me at least.

Like everywhere stated, nothing can truly prepare you for owning a Chinny. My Little boy has given me so many heart attacks and panic stricken minutes in a month, from squashing himself flat and scaling the back of his cage, to leaping from the top level of his cage (onto my head)

Still, certain things concern me with his behaviour and such.

Firstly, he often sits resting only on one of his front paws, the other pulled close in to his body. At first I thought he had broken it, but he appeared to be able to hop about normally on it, and he seems to alternate quite a lot, so its clearly not a break (I also reach in and gently move the little paw about and he doesn't pull away or make any signs of distress) I was curious if this was a common sight. Do a lot of Chin's do this? Is it for a particular reason or just quirky?

I'm struggling to measure how much hay he's eating, since once he's skimmed the top off of the hay racks (I have two, one on each level of his cage) he tends to leave them alone. He's also got a lot of hay in his best box, and a little in his hammock and hive house thing he likes to sleep in, which does get eaten a bit, and he never seems that interested in it too much (He eats it at his own pace)
I assume this is normal?

His pellets are typically normal sized, hard dry and usually dark brown to black in colour. There is always a small amount of tiny little ones and a few longer ones too. They're always massively outnumbered by the tidal wave of normal looking pellets, and it's always been the case since I got him, with no visible change, even after I weaned him off the Pets at Home pellets in favour of a better brand. I assume this is just normal for him? since nothing else appears of out of sorts.

The last big thing I have a worry with is his eyes, or rather the area around his eyes. Since I've had him, I've noticed he will scratch near and around his eye, and he's missing a bit of fur, not lots, but a noticeable patch near his eye. His eyes never look inflamed or different, and he still winks at me to say Hello. I was worried he had some kind of eye infection, but I haven't noticed any change besides occasional little bits of fur missing near his eye in an almost diamond shaped patch and sometimes a little bit of hay in the corner of his eye that he gets out on his own. Is this a common occurrence?

I appreciate any help, information and advice offered. I adore my Little guy, and we're bonding really well, I want to make sure he has the best life I can give him.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire