mercredi 13 mars 2019

Yet another surprised (and freaked out) chin grandparent!

Hi everyone,

I'm glad I found you all... especially right now. An hour ago, I discovered that our beloved mrs had given birth to a kit without warning. She had one kit and it's adorable! I'm freaked out though. I've been frantically researching what I should be doing to make sure everyone is safe and happy. Things I'm most freaked about:

1) I read on Chin Chronicles: "You should very gently feel the chin-mum's stomach 4 hours after birth to firstly check it is warm, as if not, there may not be enough milk being produced and you may need to hand feed the babies yourself for them to survive. Secondly, if you detect lumps and the contractions have stopped, there is an unfortunate chance of a trapped/dead kit still inside and you must call a veterinary surgeon immediately."

I wasn't present for the birth, but I did witness the placenta pop out. She ate it of course. Is that a decent sign that she only had one kit in there? I had a glancing tummy feel. My chins are rescues and we haven't quite developed a hands on relationship yet, so it's hard to get in there. I wouldn't call her tummy warm, but I don't have the experience to know better.

2) We haven't separated mr at this time. He seems contentedly and proudly standing watch over momma and baby. My wife is bringing home a separate borrowed cage... How critical is separating him if all seems calm?

Baby is dry and presumably warm, snuggled up to momma, chirping away. I think I even witnessed a brief baby popcorning! Seems like a good scene to me?

Thanks in advance for sharing all your wisdom and advice.

D


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire