vendredi 8 avril 2016

HELP... Stasis, blockage, bloat, giardia...

Please refer to this thread for previous information.
http://ift.tt/1V8fMHV

LONG STORY SHORT... Chinchilla lost weight and appetite. X rays done, teeth are fine. Blood/urine fine. Fecal finally came back positive for Giardia. Not thinking this was the cause of his upset, vet prescribed TMS and Buprenorphine. Been handfeeding Essentials for Life, probiotics and simethicone - weight has been increasing. Problem persists, prescribed fenbendazole for the giardia. Still no change in appetite. Prescribed Baytril, and here we are....

Last night he refused all the bits he's been willingly eating(he will take cheerios, nibble on a tiny bit of hay, etc...). He hadn't moved much during the night and his poops were small, hard and there were very few. I rushed him to work with me this morning.
He only had maybe three doses of the Baytril and he won't be getting any more of it.

More x-rays were taken, saw lots of gas. She wants to do an Endoscopy, possibly an ultrasound to search for a blockage before prescribing Reglan.
She has given more Bup(0.5mg/ml with dose of .03ml every 8 hours), and mentioned giving Pedialyte to keep him hydrated until Monday morning. Advice is needed... I just want to keep him okay until Monday.

This is not something I have dealt with in the past and I'm starting to panic. Working in the veterinary field is completely different than how it is when you're treating one of your own. I'm familiar with the concepts of these potential outcomes but I just need some solid confirmation about what I should do. My panicked state of mind needs to hear from people who have dealt with these issues before.

Worst case, he is blocked and needs surgery... What about the giardia? What about the possible stasis? I don't even know where to start and I need help :(


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire