dimanche 7 mai 2017

Sprained foot? Please help this new owner!

Hi all,

It's my first time posting here so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong.

Anyways, I have 3 chins, Nike(1.5 years old, male), Mama(4 years old, female), and Oliver(1.5 years old, female). A lady gave them to me off craigslist about 2 months ago. They were fed the supplement pellets(Charlie Chinchilla brand thing from PetCo) and treats(the yogi drops) before, but when I got them, I switched them to rabbit pellets, timothy hay, and fruit like apples/pears once a week. (Rabbit pellets since it's cheaper and they're the same thing as chin pellets, just cut differently.)

We put the 3 chinnies playtime in a separated area in our basement. Usually they stay in the area but yesterday Nike got out and we had to chase him to get him back in.

After playtime, I noticed lots of loud odd squeaking from the cage. It was Nike, hiding in his house. I removed the house to check on him but he didn't budge much. I (very gently) pushed him around to see what was the matter, and he gingerly and lethargically crawled to another corner of the cage. His left leg seemed to be limping, but he could put his weight on both legs and even stood up. He didn't eat any hay or pellets, but he gladly ate 2 cubes of pear.

Today at about 24 hours after yesterday's playtime, I saw him sitting on the rim of his pellet bowl, eating pellets and picking out the best ones, like usual. He looked much better and his ears were perky like Mama and Olivers. I put him out in the playground for a bit and he was definitely more active. Walking, climbing, and occasionally jumping. His limp looked much less visible but you could see that he was being careful.

The leg itself looks fine and nothing looks swollen or out of place. So I'm wondering if it's a sprained foot or leg, and if it is, would it heal itself? Is there anything I do to help him feel better? Or could it just be overuse/exhaustion on his leg.

Please let me know. Thanks!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire