dimanche 28 mai 2017

Chinchilla with diarrhea?

Hi, I went to the vet today with my chinchilla Dusty, because he's been having diarrhea for the past...LONG while, maybe 4-6 days. (Today was the soonest they could see him).

He went in, they checked him, said he weighed 468 grams, and said that you can feel his bones a bit. They looked at his bum, noticed he's still got a bit of diarrhea on his feet (he steps in it, and he will not let me wipe his feet, he's very sensitive).

They swabbed his bum and got some poop, looked at it, and said "Well he may have some bad bacteria, what kind of chinchilla food are you feeding him?" And I said "just some alfalfa pellets and timothy hay, and water" They told me to buy oxbow instead of my generic brand stuff, told me to get the pellets out of the cage and only feed him hay until the diarrhea goes away, and to watch for any sort of lethargy or weight loss.

She didn't say if something was wrong, but said "he might have a little bit of bad bacteria in his GI tract". They gave me a little container of "Oxbow Natural Science Digestive Support Small Animal Supplement"

He's still active, loves taking his dust baths, and is eating and drinking, but he does seem a little more tired than usual. (Could be that I woke him up at 7AM to bring him to the vet that's over an hour away, and got him back home at 11AM though).

I'm not sure what else to do for him, I gave him some burnt toast, and I make sure to clean his cage every few days (So he isn't sitting in diarrhea), other than feeding him timothy hay and watching him, Idk what there is left to do?

I also mentioned that my chinchilla has a very obvious hunchback, and she disagreed with me and argued that it was probably just that he was "thin and that I could see his back bone." ..It's definitely a hunch though so I'm not sure if she might just not have much experience with chinchillas?

I've had him for 3 years and loved him every second of the way, I'd be so depressed if he passed away. He's currently in a smaller cage (like the guinea pig sized ones) to keep everything more sanitary and easier to monitor. I have no clue what to do :( Help?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire