vendredi 12 mai 2017

Playtime advice for a first time chin owner

Hi all,

My name is Heath, I joined this website to get information on how to properly care for a chinchilla. I have never owned or took care of one before, I did research about them though. I was hoping to get some information from experienced previous kit owners on how to tame and bond well when you meet your chin.

I'm getting one from a breeder, they are rare in New Zealand and the breeder doesn't sell them to anyone. I have ordered a suitable cage, wood chewing toys (natural wood), apple and kiwi fruit sticks, 12" exercise wheel, dust bath, tunnel, bed house, hideout hut, bedding, corner litter, water bottle, hay and pellets. Basically all the necessities they need. I also placed the floor with a fleece, many has recommended it. Given the cage spacing is 0.5", should I also be placing a cover on the ledges and ladder? The spacing for the ladder is close to an inch (0.7-0.8").

I have read that chinchillas are mostly active at night, which is a good thing since I sleep late and I'm free at night. I wasn't able to find an answer on when to start letting your chin out, is it from day 1 or it's better to let her/him out after we've bonded? Many say it's best to let them out for 1-2 hours and others for 45 minutes. Given that I'm free at night, should I be aiming for the 1-2 hour+ or is that too extreme? I know the little cuties are smart and follow a routine, which is why I thought I'd ask about their playtime schedule.

Another thing I had in mind is how to introduce an exercise wheel to your kit. The breeder will notify me when to collect once the kit is weaned (approx. 8-10 weeks old). Should I wait until s/he is a little older to let him/her run on it?

The place I intend for my chin to play in will of course be chin proofed. It's very safe, no holes or anything like that. Quite spacey as well. I thought I'd decorate the place with few chew toys, tunnel, exercise wheel and have his/her cage in the room for food and water purposes. Is there anything I should keep in mind or have missed?

I'd appreciate any information, advice or an informative link.

Thanks :)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire