vendredi 16 décembre 2016

Chin collapsing and convulsing - HELP!

I've just joined the forum as I really need some advice!
Our girl Flo (c.4 year old standard grey) has been collapsing/seizing regularly during play time in the last 2 weeks.
I took her to the vet on Monday and they diagnosed a heart murmur, and said she needs to lose a bit of weight (she was 770g). Advice was to avoid long periods of exercise and increase hay consumption by reducing pellet feed.
Now, I might be wrong but I'm just not convinced that the heart murmur is the culprit here.
The episodes happen pretty quickly after she gets out to exercise (before she's really exerted herself).
She will suddenly start to move differently to normal (lower to the ground, almost like a soldier's crawl?!) and then just flop on her front. She goes limp and doesn't object at all when I pick her up (normally she would complain and wriggle!). During the episode she will shuffle about the room a bit but is clearly disorientated and uncoordinated (like she's drunk). Her eyes mostly look normal, maybe a bit dozy. But she is not totally unconscious and does react (mutedly) to noises, etc.
Last night was the worst though - after she flopped I laid her in my lap and then she started convulsing (her head would visibly pull upwards and back in a spasm) and she made what I call her 'squeaky toy' noise (warning call). She did this about 3 times and then just sat around looking dazed.
During previous episodes she has trembled a bit and occasionally juddered (like she had hiccups?!) but never a properly jerky movement like this, and never any vocalising!
The episodes generally last a couple of minutes at a time but they seem to be getting longer (last night she was out of it for at least 5 minutes). However, it does pass and then she seems totally fine - alert, bright eyed, eating and pooping normally.
Does this sound like it could be a heart murmur? I'm wondering if it could be hypoglycemia (although would it be weird to happen so quickly after I let her out, and stop without any sugary treat?). Or possibly a thiamine deficiency? Pretty sure its not calcium as her teeth are a healthy dark orange color. No big changes to her feeding patterns or routine recently so I don't think its environmental.
I'm wondering if I should stop letting her out of her cage for a week or two as it doesn't seem to happen until she's out and about!
I plan to take her back to the vet unless things improve but I don't really think any of the ones near me are super-experienced with chins, so if I can go armed with suggestions I'd be happier.
All thoughts gratefully received!
Thanks,
Jenny


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire