samedi 17 décembre 2016

Bonding

First, let me admit that I’m not a very patient person to begin with. With that said, I sometimes feel like I am not going to become part of Daphne and JoJo’s herd. I have had them now for 2 months, and I do know it can take a lot longer than that. Last week, at the 8-week mark, I decided that I was going to take Daphne out and hold her since she SOMETIMES lets me rub her belly for a minute before she starts barking at me. (I am not allowed to touch JoJo, but she came out onto my shoulder and she touches my face to get at my glasses or eyelashes when glasses aren’t on.)

Anyway, I took Daphne out to hold her. She was extremely squirmy, but she did settle down and let me pet her for a minute. When she started barking I put her back in the cage. I haven’t attempted that again, and feel like it should be a long time before I attempt again.

Every evening I sit on the floor in front of the cage and leave all doors open (FN double cage). They do get curious enough that they look like they may want to get out, but then I lean in and they go back in the cage. I have not gotten a pet fence to block off the bed yet, figuring it’s a little premature (plus having spent a small fortune so far on setup). I thought I had read that you shouldn't let them out until you've formed the bond or you'll never get them back in. Is that wrong?

What can I do to help the bonding process along? Am I doing something wrong? I’m thinking it may have been a bad idea to have taken Daphne out. Should I at least continue to try to rub her belly?

Also, on another subject, since they do not respond to their names yet, would it be ok to change a name? Or since they’ve been hearing their names for 2 months already, is that a no? I say their names to them MANY times every day. I’m rethinking JoJo, even though that was the name I chose first.

Any advice is appreciated!!!!

Thanks!
Trish


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire