mardi 20 septembre 2016

New to the young chiny

So here's my situation:
My boyfriend has had a male chin for 5 years, he's estimated to be around 7. His name is Pete. Well Pete was neglected from the first owners before my bf, and so he doesn't like attention outside of the cage. However in the cage he's totally friendly. He won't come on to your hand or anything but Pete sure does love his scratches and treats. I've been with my bf for 3 years so I've been taking care of Pete too of course. I understand how to care for him, but I never had to try to bond to him or anything.

A few days ago I brought home a 7 week old chin. I had been talking to a woman online who had a few babies unexpectedly and was putting up for sale. And that they wouldn't be ready for a few weeks. She let him go at 7weeks and after more research I'm wondering if he really should have stayed longer. I've named him (or her, I am unsure..) Nimbus. Or Nim for short.

When I met this woman and her family they were obviously doing very well with the chins but they also weren't breeders and were doing the best they could. We are taking Peter and Nimbus to the vet for a check up soon. My boyfriend made an appointment.

I was originally hoping we could eventually keep Pete and Nim together, as long as both are male. The first two nights I had Nim in a separate room. For a couple days now he's been in the same room as Pete. It seems to be going okay. I don't have the cages too close, just far enough that they can see each other but Nim doesnt feel the need to stay away.

I give Pete attention before I give Nim attention, to be sure that he doesn't feel forgotten. I don't give Nim treats, but the past owners gave him dried apples. Nim also eats his pellets without any issue. He ate them at his old home too. Nim loves to hang out my shoulder, and run around my neck and he seems really sweet. I think he might be even perking up to his name. Nim has pretty much the same size cage as Pete, of course with wheel and hidey hole, platforms, marble block at the bottom of the cage, water bottle and food on one of the platforms.
Since putting the chins in the same room, I've seen Nim popcorn a bunch! I had to look it up because it scared me at first. And even Peter has started to do it and my bf said he's never seen him do that. They seem happy. I can't wait to get them together. I'm just concerned that Nim may have been a bit too young to bring home. And I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make sure he's alright. He seems to be eating plenty of food and drinking water just fine. Seems a little itchy though.

I'd like to know how I could get Nim a little more used to his name. And also if I posted pics would anyone be able to sex Nim for me? I am unsure and I hate that I keep calling it a him for ease of conversation lol.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire