mardi 8 janvier 2019

Chinchilla ledges and custom cage advice

So I had bought an all living things multi level cage for my chinchilllas and as you know it comes with all plastics shelves and such and chinchillas shouldn’t consume plastic the cage btw is the exact same cage as a ferret nation cage so I bought stainless steel metal pans from bassequipment.com shipping was very quick and it costs about 100 bucks for both pans THEN I had to think about how I would make the ledges if I would buy them and such and I feel like there isnt enough information on chinchilla ledges and wood they can consume and WHERE TO FIND IT I had a very difficult time finding the wood so I wanted to make a post saying what I have found in making my chinchillas custom cage the wood you’re looking for that’s most common anyways is untreated kiln dried pine wood and basically what that means is it’s been untreated so it won’t harm your chinchillas because they treat the wood for outdoor use and kiln dried just means that it has been dried with a lot of heat to kill anything that could have been in the wood and to get rid of the sap you can also use poplar wood poplar wood is harder wood so screwing into it will be a lot easier pine splits very easy so as for making the ledges and that’s any ledges you wanna make sure and sand them very well because any sharp edges can hurt them Home Depot and Lowe’s near me didn’t have the special pine they had pine but if it’s not marked kiln dried I won’t buy it because it’s supposed to be marked poplar wood though is very very popular and was there the best place I have found though for this kind of wood is a lumber yard as for hardware THE BOLTS ARE SUPER HARD TO FIND LARGE QUANTITIES OMFG I had to go to probably 4 different Lowe’s and Home Depot to find the 1/4 hanger bolts hanger bolts work like this half goes into wood and half is used to put a wingnut you also want a fender washer I bought several different washers but fender washed is by far the best and that’s because it’s very large and will support the board better Home Depot is better priced for the hanger bolts I bought a pack of 4 for 1.18 Lowe’s was a pack of 2 for 1.28 Lowe’s is cheaper than Home Depot for washers and wingnuts now if you’re using pine you want to make sure to PRE DRILL I can’t express that enough if you’re using a 1/4 hanger bolt you pre drill with one size smaller and then drill the 1/4 hanger bolt into the board also the holes you use to drill for the chinchilla house and such is like a special kit for cutting holes it was about 50 bucks for smaller medium ones and for the 4 inch large hole you need for the main entrance had to be purchases separately also I highly recommend using a nail gun over screws if you’re building a house or box because it’s very easy to split the wood Also thought I’d mention what sizes I made because i didn’t really see very many posts regarding exactly what they made and how they made it I made (8) 6 by 2 1/2 for the “stairs” (4) 11 by 6 with a 4 inch hole on one side i made (6) 6 by 4 1/2 (1) 11 by 6 (1) 12 by 7 1/2 (1) 11 by 7 bottom with a stick attached on one side that was 9 inches the “box” I made with empty sides was 11 by 8 by 8 as for the weird angles piece it’s 22 x 8 and I basically just cut at an angle one piece just make sure when you have large pieces you put a lot of hanger bolts so it’s supported and doesn’t hang or go down when the chinchillas jump off of it as for the other house the bottom piece of 14 by 11 front and back pieces are 8 1/2 by 11 and the side pieces are 8 1/2 by 7 and top was 7 by 11 the second house was 8 by 7 on the side front and back were 6 by 6 1/2 and the top 8 by 8 and I had a 4 inch whole on the front piece all in all I spend about 7 bucks for washers 7 bucks for wingnuts and probably 20 or 30 bucks in hanger bolts you’re better off ordering them online because Home Depot and Lowe’s only carry 4-6 packs at a time if you have any questions feel free to hit me up beforethesunrises2@gmail.com


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire