samedi 26 janvier 2019

Advice about a newly-purchased baby chin passing away after 2 weeks

Hi folks,
At this time I do not want to share the breeder's information.

I purchased two baby brothers on Jan 4 at roughly 3 months old. Their fecal test, that I submitted a week after I got them, showed 3-10 giardia cysts per field (which I've been told is a lot). They had no contact with my other chins, who are housed in a room on a different floor of my house.

One of the brothers began exhibiting lethargy on the 17th. I took them both to the vet on the 18th. One of them passed away on the 19th. I've submitted his remains for necropsy and am waiting on the results.

My problem is this. I told the breeder right away and they immediately started blaming me. They did not offer a refund or replacement animal, but instead continually questioned my competence as a care giver. Over the course of the next couple of days I decided to do to the necropsy, and told them after the remains were submitted. Then they begrudgingly offered a refund or replacement animal "only if the necropsy showed that death was caused by giardia or an anatomical defect."

I have owned chins for over 12 years and I know how to take care of them. I currently have two 13+ year old chins, which I think speaks volumes to my ability to house and care for them.

They seemed to be a reputable breeder (with a website showing lots of ribbons and high-quality looking animals). I don't want to trash their reputation unjustly. However, it breaks my heart every time I see the surviving little boy, not knowing if he's going to be alive the next time I wake up since his brother passed so quickly. I've spent so much money and energy that I should not have had to spend because they sold me sick babies.

What should I do? The breeder belongs to both ECBC and MCBA.

Thanks for listening <3


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire