samedi 6 août 2016

adopting a wounded rescued chinchilla

Hey guys! I am new here.
I’ve never had a chinchilla before but been wanting to get one. I was reading about them a lot and I looking for a place to buy a baby chin. But then I decided to check local SPCA (Las Vegas, Nevada). That’s where I found Brewster. When I saw him I felt so bad for him. So I am fostering him right now (I brought him home three days ago) but going to adopt him pretty soon.
I’ve been told Brewster is around one-year-old. 23 other chinchillas and he were recently rescued from a house where they were used for breeding. Brewster was in a cage with three other chins who beat him up. As a result, he has no tail, he has only 2 toes on his left foot and 3 toes on his right foot. He also has a huge wound on his head. His ears were beaten and have scabs now. You can see it on the attached pictures. Is he still in pain? I’ve read on this forum that chins can hide their pain easily. He eats well, drinks his water, pees and poops a lot too. He also sheds a lot. I’ve been brushing him but it doesn’t really help. Is it normal for chins to shed like crazy?
I’ve been taking him out of the cage for a play time every day. He was just hiding at first but on day 3 he started coming up to me to smell my hands, feet, etc. The thing is he does not jump. He just hops around my kitchen (that’s where he has his play time, it’s chin proved). He takes his dust bath and he seems to enjoy it. But I’ve never seen him jump. Well, I let him jump off of my hands once but I think it was awkward for him. I worry that it might be because he’s missing his tail and some toes on his feet. What do you guys think?
He doesn’t seem to be very scared of me. He comes over to smell my fingers when he’s in a cage but he runs away when I try to pick him up. I guess it’s normal plus it’s only his 4th day here. I feel bad for everything he had to go through so I am going to adopt him. Should I get a double unit or a single unit cage for him?
Sorry for the long message. Also excuse my grammar mistakes, English is my second language.
I am open to any advises you guys can give me. I’ll really appreciate it! All I just want is for Brewster to feel safe and loved.
Thank you for your time!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8204.jpg (157 Bytes)
File Type: jpg IMG_8231.jpg (157 Bytes)
File Type: jpg IMG_8232.jpg (157 Bytes)
File Type: jpg IMG_8281.jpg (157 Bytes)
File Type: jpg IMG_8288.jpg (157 Bytes)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire