lundi 6 mai 2019

First time chin owner, how am I doing?

A couple months ago my parents surprised me with a pet chinchilla and a few basics to keep her happy. I had an old chinchilla cage that I used to use for my hamster, so I cleaned it up, filled it with bedding, set up some toys and let her check it out.

It’s a wire cage with three platforms built into it and a removable tray at the bottom for changing the bedding. For toys we gave her some cherry wood sticks and cardboard tubes, as well as a stick “house” and a plastic flying saucer wheel from the pet store. She seems happy enough, though she always wants out in the evening and never uses her wheel.

Am I doing everything right? The bedding I use is that recycled paper stuff, her food is a mix of pellets, hay, and dried fruits called chinchilla nature, her water comes from a drip bottle, and I give her frequent dust baths in a cat carrier with Blue Beauty. I also leave handfuls of fresh hay in her cage since google says she always needs access to it.

I’m a little worried about the coming summer, we live at the lake and it gets really hot and humid here, plus our house doesn’t have AC. I have a small window fan next to her cage, and I can bring in a dehumidifier if necessary, will that be enough to keep her cool or will I need something better?

Any tips or advice would be really appreciated.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire