vendredi 21 octobre 2016

Syringe feeding Critical Care

So we had a "fun" adventure yesterday. We got to get in our carriers and take an hour long car ride to the vet! I don't think they thought it was very fun. Especially the vet part. But Cloud wasn't pooping properly. And Elena's urine seemed to me to be too dark in color. So the vet says she'll give them both some medicine to get their digestion going - I don't have it in front of me or I'd tell you what it is - and she's concerned about Elena's temperature, which I guess was too low, and her kidneys, which might be having problems indicated by the dark urine. (Tseng had kidney problems, and they may have been siblings, is that genetic? That worries me.) So, more medicine - antibiotics - and going back next week for blood and urine tests. And Critical Care for all. So we finally get to the question. They want me to stuff 20-30 ml of CC into each of them twice a day. How do you get them to eat it? I have enough trouble getting 0.38 ml of medicine into them. The vet gave me this giant syringe for the CC, which Cloud has already bitten the end off of, but it does me no good if they refuse to open their little mouths. If I can get Cloud annoyed enough at the syringe to bite it, I can get a little food in but it's hit or miss. I'm supposed to be wrapping them like burritos, which does not work in any way. Cloud eventually will crawl out of the burrito, and Elena crawls further into it. Both of them end up with almost as much CC in their fur as they get in their mouths. Not to mention the amount of it I end up wearing. I've only fed them twice so far and both times it's been not very successful. I barely got Elena to eat any tonight, probably less than 10 ml. I'm more worried about her than Cloud now. Any suggestions for making syringe feeding easier? Or at least more successful? I need my babies to eat. I wish I could make it less stressful for them, but i can see why being wrapped up in a burrito and held still while someone sticks syringes in your mouth might be pretty stressful, and I can't think of any way to make it easier. Anyone with experience with Critical Care, your advice is greatly appreciated.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire