vendredi 26 avril 2019

Labs showed kidney issues...

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I was on here. Some of you may remember that Nixi is my problem chin. The other three never have issues... always her. She started leaving her pellets all over the floor of the cage and dropped from 470g to 421g. She bounced back up to 429g yesterday, so at least her weight is stable for now, BUT the labs came back today and showed a problem with her kidneys. The ultrasound is scheduled for Wednesday, but in the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone has personal experience with kidney issues.

Age: 8 years old
Food: Oxbow Chinchilla Essentials
Water: PUR3 Filtered
Hay: Oxbow Timothy (Alfalfa, Oat and Orchard grass post surgery a few times)
Treats: Broad Spectrum Supplement (Fuzzies Kingdom), shredded wheat and oats
Brief Medical History: Handfed as a kit because she wouldn't latch on. Broke her leg twice. The last one resulted in a bone infection and an amputation. She's been on more antibiotics and Metacam than the other 3 combined, so I don't know if that's the root cause here or not, but it's definitely a concern.

I have an awesome vet who is directly affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania, so the trust is absolutely there, but I still prefer to get as much information as humanly possible. I reached out to Tanya yesterday, but haven't heard back yet.

Aside: She thinks she should have been an acrobat, is beyond headstrong, and refuses to accept "no" as an answer. Despite breaking her **** leg twice, I can assure you that I'm not at all a neglectful owner. She's just a special chin with no fear instinct who seems to enjoy having ALL of my attention every so often.

So what are your experiences? Have you experienced successful removal of kidney stones? What about kidney failure? Is it always an ultimate death sentence and just a matter of time? What's helped you to keep weight on them when kidney function is a concern? She hated Beaphar+, which I've tried in the past, so that's out. BUT, any information you can provide would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire